Planning & Zoning: Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get my building permit?
The City of Beavercreek only issues zoning permits. Building permits are issued by Greene County Building Department (937-562-7420).

What does a zoning permit cost?
Zoning permit application fees must be paid at the time of application and can be found here.

May fences be placed on the property line?
Fences are allowed to be placed up to the property line, but may not cross the property line. Property line disputes are not settled by the City of Beavercreek.

What type of permit do I need for a garage?
If it is detached, an accessory structure permit is required.  If it is attached, a residential zoning permit is required.

Can I build a garage and then a home?
No.  Detached garages are accessory structures.  The home must be built first.

Do I need a permit to install a patio?
No, if it is poured concrete or brick pavers at grade. If it is above grade or is a covered patio, a residential zoning permit is required.

Do I need a permit to construct a handicap ramp?
Yes.  A residential zoning permit is required, but no fee is charged.

Do I need a permit to replace a fence, shed, deck, or pool?
Yes, replacing existing structures does require a new accessory structure permit.

Do I need a permit to have a garage or yard sale?
No.  But signs advertising the sale may only be placed on private property and must be removed once the sale is over.

Do I need a permit to run a business from my home?
No.  Refer to the standards for a Home Occupation in section 158.133 of  the Zoning Code.

What do I need to start a business in an existing commercial building?
You will need a Certificate of Use Compliance from Beavercreek and the Greene County Building Department will issue an Occupancy Permit.

What do I need to get a permanent sign for my business?
Section 158.145 of the zoning code must be met for all new signage. Submit a copy of a site plan (for ground signs only) showing the exact location of the sign and a rendering of the sign containing exact measurements to indicate sign size, along with a completed application form.

What are the restrictions on temporary ground signs?
A commercial establishment can choose from one of the following two options per calendar year for a temporary ground sign or for an A-frame sign. Please note that some developments are not permitted to have any temporary signage:

For political signs, click here.


What do I need to do when I am ready for an inspection?
Stake out the location of the structure you are building and then call the Planning and Zoning Department 24 hours prior, to schedule the inspection.

Who does inspections for sidewalks and driveways?
The City of Beavercreek Engineering Department (427-5513) inspects all sidewalks, driveways and roads and requires a permit for working in the right-of-way. Please call them for more information.


Where should complaints be directed?
The Planning Department has enforcement authority for zoning and property maintenance issues.  Drainage, street, sidewalk and similar issues are handled by the Engineering Department (427-5513).  Building construction issues are regulated by the Greene County Building Regulations Department.

Are there restrictions on the number of cars parked on a residential lot?
We do not restrict the number of cars allowed on the lot as long as they are parked on a driveway or parking area.  See §158.118 and 158.122 for more details.

What are the City regulations on Junk Vehicles?
Click here for property maintenance information. you may also view sections 158.122 and 158.123 of the zoning code.

Can anything be done if my neighbor’s grass is too tall?
If the grass is 10 inches or higher, a complaint can be made by calling or e-mailing the Planning and Zoning Department .

What is the process for cutting grass which is too tall?
First the inspector from the Planning and Zoning Department will verify the grass exceeds 10 inches.  Notice is posted on the property giving the owner 5 days to mow.  After the 5 days, the inspector re-inspects the property and if the grass still exceeds 10 inches, a contractor is sent in to mow the property and the property owner will be billed for the expense.


Are there any zoning code regulations concerning animals?
Farm animals may only be kept on property located in an agricultural (A-1) district.  There are no city restrictions on the number of domestic animals which may be kept, however the breeding or boarding of animals is not permitted within any residential district.


What do I need to do to subdivide my land ?
Any proposal to create a new buildable lot must be approved as a subdivision by the Planning Commission.  Contact the Planning Department for application materials and requirements.


What is the difference between a parcel number and a lot number?
Parcel numbers are assigned by the County Auditor and lot numbers are assigned by the developer of the project.  Every piece of property has a parcel number, but only property within a platted subdivision has a lot number.

How far from the center of the road is my front property line?
Typically, but not in all cases, the front property line is 25 feet from the centerline on a subdivision road.  It may be larger on major roads such as Dayton-Xenia, Fairfield, etc.

How do I find my property lines??
Property pins (typically a 36 inch long metal rod) are placed at the corners of a lot.  These pins are usually at or below grade and sometimes can be found using a metal or magnetic detector or by contacting a surveying company.  Your exact lot dimensions can be found on the  Greene County Website.


Where do I get a Vendor’s License?
Contact the Greene County Auditor’s Office (562-5065).

May I burn materials on my lot?
Consult the following Open Burn Guideline as published by the Beavercreek Township Fire Department.

Who controls public water and sewer?
For information on the public water and sewer serving Beavercreek, contact the Greene County Sanitary Engineering office (562-7450)

Where do I find information about the  removal of an underground oil or fuel tank?
Contact the Beavercreek Township Fire Department (426-1627) for information on the removal of buried tanks.

Who do I contact about property taxes?
The Greene County Auditor’s office (562-5065).

Who deals with neighborhood covenants and restrictions?
The Planning and Zoning Department has no ability to enforce private covenants.  The neighborhood Homeowner’s Associations are the entities that control and enforce the private covenants and restrictions in a neighborhood.

If you have any questions, a staff member in the Planning and Zoning Department is available Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5:00 p.m (427-5512).